Taking Bold Steps: Breaking the Stigma Around Mental Health Issues
As a certified B Corporation (B Corp), Fors Marsh Group (FMG) is committed to a higher standard of business practice where profit, people, and the planet are equally prioritized. We are on this mission to create and inspire change. We know that consumers want to see a commitment from businesses to their employees and the environment—not just the bottom line. We believe in balancing profit and purpose; the more successful we are as a company, the more good we can do in our communities.
Our Director of Social Impact/Social Engagement through Research-Centered Volunteerism (SERV), Matt Escoubas, was a recent guest on Rehab Confidential, a popular podcast featuring co-hosts Joe Schrank and Amy Dresner, where he discussed FMG’s ground-breaking workplace recovery program and mental health resources. As Matt explains, FMG is taking bold steps to create a stigma-free work environment through internal policy changes that create “safe spaces” for discussing addiction and mental health challenges. The goal is to eliminate the chief barriers to speaking up and asking for help: fear of reprisal and punitive action from an employer.
Use the player below to listen to the entire episode.
(Please note: Matt’s interview begins at 18:14. This podcast includes explicit language.)
In this episode, they cover a range of topics, including:
- What a B Corp is and how it aligns with our purpose-driven mindset (learn more),
- How businesses can help employees overcome the fear of coming forward with addiction or mental health issues (learn more),
- Policy changes every company should put in place to further mental wellness in the workplace (learn more),
- Reducing the stigma around mental health and addiction,
- Coping with the mental health challenges of a loved one, and
- The different ways people recover from addiction.